Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I'm sorry

I know it sounds like a cop out, but I think I'm canceling the Gobolinux special. It's just too hard to film and too boring to watch. I'll do blog posts about it though - don't you worry!

No rant today either, haven't had the time. Hopefully we'll get Stig and Waffle's Youtube channels up soon, so there will be a larger income of videos.

I'll be going to Salmon Arm Saturday until the next Sunday, so there is a possibility I'll be out of contact. Supposedly there is WiFi though, so hopefully it'll be all right.

Now, on to Gobolinux!



State of Affairs on the Gobolinux Mutilib project:

Paritioned.

/dev/sda1 /boot ext4 258.83MB
/dev/sda2 -Extended Partition- 148.80GB
/dev/sda5 / reiser4 10GB
/dev/sda6 /var reiser4 2GB
/dev/sda7 /Files/Compile reiser4 2GB
/dev/sda8 swap swap 4GB
/dev/sda9 /home reiser4 130.80GB

On Gobolinux, /boot is actually /System/Kernel/Boot, /var is /Variable, and /home is /Users.

Now, I've set this up this way for three reasons:
  1. Having a dedicated boot partition is good practice, and I've also found it tends to boot faster.
  2. Moving the files that change often to a new partition is something I've seen done in Gentoo a lot (typically with /var/portage). It reduces the impact of fragmentation, as creating and deleting many files causes (though the Reiser4 filesystem negates this a fair bit).
  3. Redundancy: a separate home partition means I can reinstall without losing my files if the main partition screws up (this is also good partitioning practice).
On the programs side, I've managed to get git set up on System Rescue CD, but SVN and CVS are proving more difficult. Grrrr portage...

Well, th-th-th-th-that's all folks.
----------------
Now playing on Winamp: asvu 2006 - 10 - surfin usa
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment