Sunday, August 23, 2009

As the Frustration mounds...

As I have mentioned before, I am currently in Salmon Arm. I have my laptop, which isn't fixed yet. I am using it though, as I installed Xubuntu on a usb stick (full install) and have made it bootable. There are problems though, that have caused me to become quite irate and frustrated.

First of all, running off a USB drive is SLOW. Especially when you're multitasking. Firefox is not good on this. USB 1.1 is probably unusable.

Second, the Nvidia driver causes the Desktop Enviroment to screw up, so when it boots the cursor and a blue background appear, but nothing else. So I'm stuck with the 1024x768 vesa driver. *grumble*

And thirdly, my kernel I'm compiling tends not to work with the terminals. Specifically, if you use a terminal the keyboard doesn't work. The mouse does though. I am currently trying to fix this, will update if it works.

I need this kernel because I need to access my Reiser4 partitions. Very few Distros support Reiser4. Ubuntu is not one of them.

So thus, there is an outline of the Gobolinux project so far. Frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment