Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Greetings and Hallo!

O hai! I'm the Wafflemonster, self proclaimed mac-fanboy and mac-gamer (I didn't know they existed either).

Lil' bit about me, I aspire to dabble in both Private Business Ownership, or professional writing. I have a bad addiction to drum kits, and diet Ginger ale. This may attributed to my Diabeetus.

For my first post, I'm doing a review of QUAKE ENGINE GAMES IN GENERAL.

For the most part, most Quake-based games are fast paced, deathmatchy frag fests with shiny guns and sci-fi characters. Exactly on the mark is Nexuiz, a multi-platform game who's sole purpose is to continue the abuse of anyone with a reaction time under 0.05 seconds. Flashy energy bolts, rockets, and an ineffective grenade launcher. The graphics aren't anything all that incredible, and are trumped by anything with twice the graphics of AssaultCube, which is the same sort of deal except more counter-strike and it's only 40MB, meaning it could be run on a browser. However, these games are fun and for the most part are intuitive and easy to learn, hard to master.

Urban Terror decided to take this idea, make it more tactical, and give you the stellar ability to leap off walls and climb up ledges. While just as fast, it provides a more versatile equipment choice, seeing as you can customize your set up. The shotgun and grenades, however, are extremely inneffective and should really have their core damage upped.

The Cube and Cube 2 (Saurubraten, I don't care if I got it wrong) focused on easy level customization and dynamic lighting with decent graphics, but to achieve this you need quite the machine. Otherwise, you're playing Quake III except everyone looks like Goblins. It's a great deal more balanced than Nexuiz and it's knock offs, as the explosive weapons will actually kill a fellow with one hit if shot well, and splash damage is moderate. You're starting weapon is actually useful and you can have a great deal of fun.

While I realize that there are a great many other open-source quake-based games out there, I feel like these offer the most originality out of all of them and thus, should count as the infinite betters.

-WM

No comments:

Post a Comment